Your First LAN
Here’s a short and sweet guide on how to prepare for your first LAN party attendance.
Before the LAN:
- Your Computer: Decide if you will bring a desktop or laptop. Most people bring their desktops, and I would recommend it if it is more powerful than your laptop. But a laptop also works perfectly fine.
- Install Steam: Most important thing you will ever do in your whole life. Your life will never be the same. Click here to ascend (and download Steam).
- Figure out what snack you want to bring: You must either bring a snack or pack of soda for entry to a LAN, or opt to pay $5 instead of bringing a snack. This $5 is separate from the $5 for pizza. (So if you did not bring a snack, and you want pizza, you will end up paying $10.) The best snacks to bring are Doritos, cookies, soda, etc. This will be shared with everyone. If you’re having trouble deciding what to bring, here are some snack ideas:
- A Bag of Chips: Doritos, Cheetos, Pringles, Funyuns, Flavored Lays, etc.
- A Bag of Candy: M&M’s, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Gummy Bears, Assorted Bag, etc.
- Breakfast Food: Box of Donuts, Muffins, Bananas, Granola Bars, Pop-Tarts, etc.
- Drinks: Cans of Soda, Water Bottles, etc.
- Misc.: Trail Mix, Popcorn, Jerky, Cookies, Brownies, etc.
- Get administrator access: If you are bringing your parent’s/family’s computer, you need the admin password to avoid issues with firewalls and such that may prevent you from being able to play some games.
- Get lots of sleep the night before: We always stay up late into the night. Caffeine only helps so much. Get some sleep and you’ll be set.
Day of the LAN:
- USE THE CHECKLIST: Checklist is love, checklist is life. If you don’t use the checklist, you will forget something. If you use it, you will be prepared for the LAN. Click here to find the checklist. (use it)
- Packing up: Pack up early because, especially with a desktop, it might take a bit longer then you might expect to pack all of your stuff.
- Eat lunch: Don’t come hungry, because it will be a few hours before we order pizza.
- Arrive on time: It’s okay to come late if you have something urgent to do, but try to get there on time. If you want to come earlier, just ask me.
- Come on in: Ring the doorbell, but if we’re not responding, please walk right in. We are in the basement which is the white door on the right.
- Sit by people you know: It probably won’t be very fun if you’re surrounded by people you don’t know, even if they’re really nice (hint: they are).
- Play the games: Don’t be that guy.
- Have fun!